–Hawks and raccoons and coyotes; oh my. These and other all-American predators might eye a loose or feral parrot as a tasty snack, even while parrots native to the USA are all but nonexistent. Pet dogs and cats are threats as well – so please be careful when bringing your bird outside – and certainly don’t leave it unattended. Ruba Abbasi of Flapping Feathers brings us this article on a hawk attack http://www.homeiswhereyoustartfrom.com/2009/10/okay-hes-having-bad-day-me-not-so-much.html
– Feeding table scraps to our parrots: good idea? A qualified “maybe” from Chet and Dave Womach. http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/should-we-share-table-food-with-our-birds/
– Big doin’s at Parrot Toy Safari in Binghamton, NY as proprietor Concetta Ferragamo presents one of her legendary interactive parrot seminars; featuring assorted parrot experts and an appearance by a very rare black palm cockatoo. It’s all happening Sunday, July 17 from 10-4, and you can munch on a provided lunch! For details, see www.ParrotSafariToyFactory.com
– Pearl the former feather picking Goffin’s cockatoo is this year’s comeback kid. Thanks for the video tip from my friend Viki Bullock. Pearl Goffins Cockatoo AMAZING story of hopewww.youtube.com
– It’s about parrots, it’s animated and in 3D and was a huge hit a few months ago. Still don’t have a CLU? Connecticut Association for Aviculture shows a certain must-see flick for parrot lovers at its July 12 meeting. OK, here’s a preview http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi470260249/
> Species Profile: Blue Lorikeet comes to us from World Parrot Trust’s “Flock Talk” newsletter.
– Age Records for Parrots and other Cage Birds – in case you were wondering- another interesting article from Frank Indiviglio.ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD.
– Hold off on buying that Quaker parrot for a couple of weeks, New Hampshirites. Concetta Ferragamo of Parrot Safari reports that the new law legalizing NH Quaker ownership officially goes into effect on July 30. http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_status/bill_docket.aspx?lsr=1085&sy=2011&sortoption=&txtsessionyear=2011&txtbillnumber=hb651&q=1-
-Yes, birds are likely the descendants of dinosaurs, but flight may not have been the primary reason they evolved the way they did, says Dr. Stuart Newman in “Science Daily”. Les Embrey of Mass. Cage Bird Association alerted us to this article. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110622115317.htm
– A lot of parrots like Michael Jackson; or at least the ones in this video provided by Connecticut Association for Aviculture do: http://youtu.be/ytdLFjDFEdM
– Speaking of Parrots… , George Sommers (aka Boston Birds & Fish examiner) takes a look at the surprising impact of aviculture of tbe English language in the “Pet Gazette”.
– You can help wild yellow shouldered Amazons right from the comfort of your home. > ECHO Project Needs Volunteers tells how in World Parrot Trust Newsletter.
– Casper-La the triton cockatoo and Sage the Meyer’s Senegal play Birdopoly in this Mary Angel video. And Mary, does that last name mean you have some special connections? http://youtu.be/Z-_UwAJyfrc
– Your pet’s photo could get you 1k* in the “Great American Pet Contest”. These things tend to tilt heavily towards dogs, and a few cats; but maybe we can get some birds in there.