Has your student-athlete ever received an injury during sports practice? I’ll bet you found out after the doctors’ office had closed and you couldn’t get an appointment to see your family doctor until the next day or later. Des Moines families have a free and timely option – in fact, the athlete almost gets paid to use the clinic.
Enter Iowa Health’s free sports injury assessment clinic, where your child can see someone who specializes in sports injuries before school the next day. I first learned about the clinic by seeing a flyer in a school nurse’s office. If your child’s school is like mine, then the staff in the training room and nurse’s office probably won’t verbally mention the clinic, so I’ll do it for them. Staff was not actively promoting the free clinic most likely because they had no personal experience with it. Intended for middle school, high school, and college athletes, my family has gone twice in the last couple months with satisfaction.
How it works.
- The student athlete gets injured.
- Within 48 hours, you call the clinic. They accept walk-in patients, but prefer appointments. Athletes are given early morning hours to prevent school conflicts. I called after hours and got a confirmation call by 9:30 p.m.
- You go to the appointment and fill out two forms – contact information and a release with an understanding of services.
- The athlete is seen by the appropriate staff – physical therapist, athletic trainer, etc.
- Staff gives assessment and guidelines for the near future. My one student went home with stretchy tubes and strengthening exercises. My other student went home with directions for handling the next week of practice and what to expect. If more care is needed, the clinic makes referrals for paid services.
I recommend it. I felt confident that the proper people were seeing my children. Appointments were held at a time of day that worked well (before school), and the fact that less than 24 hours passed before the kids were seen means a lot. Every student goes home with a t-shirt promoting the clinic (like I said, the kids are almost paid).
To see Iowa Health’s free sports injury clinic information on the web, visit http://www.iowahealth.org/free-sports-injury-assessment-clinic.aspx. Services are available all year-round.
This article is part of the Frugal Tuesday Tip. To see more frugal tips from all around the nation, visit juliecache.com every Tuesday.