Foster Parents; Things you need to know?
Administrative Law 2 of 6.
Now let us continue; What is Administrative Law, and how did you get involved?
You are a foster parent licensed under the state.Then you signed with your current agency, the agency is where children entering the system were placed. The children that this agency has will be placed in your home. You see, Administrative Law is not actually law at all, but contract law a contract you entered into when you signed with the agency you are currently with. This is the day you entered the door of Administrative Law. Welcome to the Foster Care System that supposedly works like this;
- Children are removed from their biologicial homes.
- Placed into the foster care system.
- Become “Wards of the court”, assigned to a judge.
- Placed with a particular agency who supervises their care.
- Assigned a social worker/ Guradian Ad Litem
- Placed into foster care homes, yours.
Administrative law is not complicated, we find it in our everyday lives. When you visit a friend and that friend asks you to take off your shoes prior to entering his/her house. You have made an agreement with this person by way of taking off your shoes; by compliance you agreed to follow this rule in order to enter the premises. This is in essence; a contract or “Administrative Law”. We find it in our Churches, our places of employment. Ad Law is rules and regulations that you agree to.
For example, what happens if I am late for work three times in any one month, you are about to discover Administrative Law in action. Your employer can/will take some sort of administrative action against you, because you have broken the rules. Rules that you agreed to when you accepted the job. Just as you accepted the job as a foster parent agreed to the rules of your agency, Administrative law.
- Did you get a copy of your rules and regulations when you signed the contract with your agency? Did we hear you right, no? How can you follow rules that you are not even aware of or have not read? Better question; how could you sign an agreement to follow these rules and regulations, and not even have read them?
If you did receive a copy of the rules and regulations for your agency, did you read them? Did you read your manual?
We rest our case.
Do you know what your state Statutes say regarding foster parents, your rights, what is expected of you? When you have an allegation remember these words, type them and put them on the front of your journal to help you remember to do your journaling diligently, (documentation), it is your only defense.
Ever wonder why so many foster parents are unprepared for the storm?
“It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when you have an allegation.”
- It is up to you to prepare to do the job you have accepted.
- How can you work in an environment you know nothing about?
Can you serve as lifeguard for children without knowing how to swim, no? First find an educational resource, an instructor then learn how to swim. You are trying to save a child who is drowning in deep water, learn how to swim.
Read on, go to part 3.