In Wednesday’s August 10, 2011 episode of USA’s Necessary Roughness, Whose Team Are You On, we have a battle of the Hawk’s WAGs (Wives and Girlfriends), a glimpse at another side of Nico (Scott Cohen), and Dr. Dani (Callie Thorne) working damage control with T.K. (Mehcad Brooks) and her kids.
Lots to work with in this week’s high five, so let’s get started.
Necessary Roughness – Whose Team Are You On – High Five:
1. Working mom syndrome – Dani faces the working moms’ worries that the time she is spending on work is negatively impacting her children. This fear crops up because of a paper Ray Jay wrote that has the mom dying. Trying to get a different ending to the story and a better relationship with her son, she hosts a team dinner for Ray Jay’s football team.
2. Boundaries anyone? – Throughout this first season of Necessary Roughness Dr. Dani has halfheartedly attempted to place some boundaries on her relationship and her children’s relationship with T.K. However, in this seventh episode, T.K. just keeps popping in. He shows up at Ray Jay’s team dinner and rushes to the hospital with balloons when he learns that Ray Jay was injured in a football game. Boundaries…What boundaries?
When Dr. Dani has the very difficult conversation with T.K. about needing to make drastic changes in this regard, T.K. is obviously hurt – “I though we was friends, Doc.” So instead of abiding by her therapeutic rules, T.K. decides to end the relationship.
3. Nico has a softer side – Nico has a soft spot for Hawk’s owner Marshall Pittman’s daughter. He clearly has a long history of riding to her rescue, but with Dani’s guidance, he decides to break the cycle and stop enabling her. He manages to talk the girl into going to rehab and when she tells him it’s too bad he never had kids…Well let’s just say there seems to be some more story brewing there.
4. Taking advantage of a medicated situation – While Ray Jay is a bit loopy as a result of the pain meds he’s on, Dani takes advantage of the situation and manages to mine a few interesting gems. She learns that it was actually Lindsay who wrote the masterpiece as payback for Ray Jay covering for her and the selling of T.K. merchandise. Ray Jay also lets it slip that he got into Club Zara courtesy T.K. and T.K. bought him a car to cover for his car getting stolen.
5. A much needed mother-daughter moment – Dani has a heart-to-heart with Lindsay where she reveals that she knows it was Lindsay who wrote Ray Jay’s paper. Aside from Dani wishing for a different outcome for the mom in the story, she turns the conversation into a beautiful, much needed compliment on Lindsay’s writing skills.
Having watched this sullen, manipulative teenager all season long, it was kind of incredible to watch the mini transformation as her mother’s words washed over her. And Dani didn’t hammer away at the conversation, either – she told Lindsay what an amazing writer she is and encouraged her to keep at it. Go mom.
~ The night’s diagnosis ~
Wednesday’s issue can be summed up by the Hawk’s coach: “Dr. Dani, the WAGS are wiggin’. Make ‘em stop.”
There is fighting between two of the Hawks’ wives, Leanne Fleming (Demetria McKinney) who might seem familiar because of her role of Janine Payne on Tyler Perry’s House of Payne, and Shannon Pritchett – wife of Hawks free safety, former Miss Ohio, and apparent kleptomaniac.
Ultimately Shannon’s underlying issues are with her husband’s adulterous transgressions and hating that everyone knows that he’s basically a cheating pile of…Dr. Dani assures Shannon that she will help her develop a plan if she chooses to leave her husband and reminds her that their therapeutic relationship can continue.
Root of the problem discovered, Shannon’s thieving days should be behind her, per the standard course of the show.
Tonight’s episode was very much about boundaries – blurred, broken, crossed…But that’s part of what makes the show so entertaining. With T.K.’s chosen replacement for Dr. Dani coming into play next week, boundaries might be tossed out the window yet again if Dr. Dani is going to get T.K. back on track.
What did you think of tonight’s episode?
You can catch new episodes of Necessary Roughness Wednesdays on the USA Network at 10:00 p.m. / 9:00 c.
Don’t miss out on any of our TV mom moments or lessons, hit the subscribe button following this article to receive free e-mail notifications. You can also keep up with me on Facebook, Twitter @TVMoms101, and GoogleBuzz.