Here’s another Top Ten doggie list for you to peruse.
Top 10 Dog-Friendly Cities in the United States
San Jose is blatantly absent, as expected. And the current crop of city leaders and park planners are not doing much, if anything to help make San Jose a contender. What is a surprise is that San Francisco is absent from even the ‘runner’s up’ list. But then, there has been a reversal of dog tolerance there in the last couple of years, including increasing anti-dog support for the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) push for stricter dog control. Read > The Dog Management Plan/Environmental Impact Statement. You still have time to speak up before the plan is installed.
DogFriendly.com’s Top 10 Dog-Friendly Cities in the United States for 2011 give you a wide variety of pet-friendly places to visit.
Portland Oregon tops DogFriendly.com’s 2011 list of the pet-friendliest vacation cities in the United States. Home to the famous and dog-friendly Rose Gardens and the Lucky Lab you and your dog would have a great time in Portland. These top cities are chosen for their pet-friendly accommodations, transportation, beaches, park, attractions, stores, dining and more. Here are the remainder of this year’s Top 10:
2. Chicago – Visit the Navy Pier, dine in elegance, cruise on a pet-friendly tour boat or walk the parks of the city.
3. San Diego – The country’s best dog beaches and trails and world class pet-friendly shopping centers.
4. Seattle – Take public transportation with your leashed dog. Many pet-friendly venues in a dog-friendly city.
5. Philadelphia – Get a famous cheese steak. See historic early American sites and stay in a downtown luxurious hotel.
6. Minneapolis – Great hiking trails and parks, pet-friendly dining. A pet-friendly atmosphere throughout.
7. Austin – Dog-Friendly parks. Outdoor cafes. Take tours and see the sites. See the Zilker Gardens and the Congress Street bats.
8. Alexandria/ Washington D.C. – See the capital’s sites, walk in charming Old Town, take a dog cruise on the Potomac.
9. New York – Luxury hotels welcome dogs, Central park beckons, off-leash parks everywhere. Shop the famous stores with your dog.
10. Indianapolis – Many historical sites, Nature preserves, trails and parks. Many of the cities tourist sites can be viewed with a dog.
Honorable Mentions: Charlotte, Dallas, Nashville, Orlando, Raleigh.
DogFriendly.com has been providing information for people who travel with Dogs world-wide since 1998.
Lincoln Hound Society has been advocating Free-Roam parks in San Jose and surrounding cities for dogs and their familys in since 2004. Maybe it’s time for you to join in the conversation? Bark out for a more dog-friendly atmosphere in the South Bay!
Woof for Now
Wrapping my arms all around all things Dog