Being a part of a small community like the East Liverpool, Calcutta and Wellsville area is somewhat of a double edged sword.
The up side is there is a sense of closeness the people of a small town share that is impossible to find in larger cities. ‘You wanna go where everybody knows your name’.
The down side is even small towns are losing their sense of community. Residents feel forced to drive thirty to forty five minutes to patronize stores and restaurants in neighboring towns because they lack those amenities locally.
You can’t achieve the sought after services if you don’t put the revenue back in to your own city and it’s impossible to spend the money here if the services are not available to you.
You need to start utilizing what you do have in your own back yard if there is any hope of growing enough to bring in more business. Spending your money locally is reinvesting it in the future of your own town and your own family.
Small towns like East Liverpool, Calcutta and Wellsville are on the verge of shriveling up and dying and the time to start showing your support has long past. It’s so easy to talk about what these dynamos of days gone by are lacking how bout using that verbal fuel for something positive like passing the word about all the good these villages have to offer. Small business’ don’t always have the large advertising budgets and have to rely on word of mouth and area residence to seek them out. You would try to revive a stranger on the street if he were in danger of dying. Why not breathe life back into the community where you were raised and where you’ve raised your children?
You will find a list of area businesses below that you are encouraged to patronize. You will be supporting your local economy and enjoy quality services that you won’t find anywhere else.
- Levi’s Auto Detailing, an area entrepreneur who treats his customers cars as if they were his own. His meticulous nature is evidenced by the cars he details. Levi can be reached by calling (330) 303-3060
- OV Sales, an on-line flea market, owned and maintained by local musician, Dave Calhoon of Rumors and his wife Janine. Forget the time and effort of yard sales. Go to www.ovsale.com and list your articles on-line free.
- Caitlyn’s Candies, owned/operated by a local student working her way through college. Her homemade candies are beautiful and make affordable and delicious gifts. Call her to place your order (330) 383-2122
- The Green Marble, (located at15549 State Route 170, # 6 accross from Calcutta school) Calcutta’s unsung hero of coffee shoppes, delicious food and coffee served by friendly, courteous people.
- Dailey’s Screen Printing, conveniently located in the old Pearl China on Dresden for all your printing needs. There’s no need to go out of town or shop online when you can get it right here. Check out their large assortment of personalized apparel and gift ideas.
- Gibby’s Mini Mart, where everybody truely does know your name. It’s family run and they make to feel like one of them. There will be a yard sale in their parking lot today, When better to stop by and tell them your read about them in this article. Great store, fantastic people.
- Reuter’s Home Designs, an area home staging and design company for a High End Look on a Low End Budget. Specializing in low budget decorating.Visit the website or e-mail
The next several Saturdays will be devoted to introducing and promoting area businesses. Comments, questions and suggestions for businesses you’d like to see be given a pat on the back are welcomed and encouraged. Click the subscribe button at the top of the page to be alerted via e-mail of these articles.