The Cowtown Indie Bazaar is a handmade craft show produced by the Fort Worth Handmade Arts Association and sponsored by Etsy Fort Worth. All proceeds go back into the community to support the handmade arts. One of the artists for the fall 2011 show is Celia Clowe of CeliaCloweCreations.
Discover Celia Clowe:
Please give us a brief bio, where you are from and how you came to be an artist.
- Celia Clowe is a Houston, Texas 3D mixed-media collage artist and over-educated geologist with a Renaissance collections of skills and talents. I have been an amateur artist all my life and I turned professional (selling my art) in 2008.
When did you first discover your creative talents?
- I believe that everyone is blessed with creative talents, whether we use our talents in more traditional creative professions or in our daily lives, such as creative budgeting. I discovered my talents in elementary school and was crowned the family drama queen.
Could you tell us about some of your work?
- My artistic spiritual journey has led me to create original SPIRIT BLOCKS. Spirit Blocks are unique, hand-crafted wooden blocks designed to lift your spirit. Materials include: a small wooden palette, hand-etched and patina copper and brass metal, glass beads, hand rusted wire and fabric, mica, leather, ribbon, and embossed metal. Spirit Blocks are finished on all 6 sides. Spirit Blocks are small enough to place on your window sill or desk so that a quick glimpse during the day is a reminder to inspire and refresh your soul.
How would you describe your style?
- I would describe my style as inviting, original, and spiritual. I use a combination of colors, textures and materials to create Spirit Blocks that are attractive to men, women, and children of all ages.
What is your approach to design?
- Let go and let the Spirit guide my designs.
Professionally, what’s your goal?
- My goal is to create the best art possible and to uplift people in their daily lives.
What artists do you like or look up to?
- Kelly Rae Roberts, Lorena Angulo, Kay Kemp and Linda Baker-Hardy
What inspires you?
- I am inspired by life and it’s daily up and downs. I seek refuge and refreshment in nature.
Lastly, any words of advice for aspiring designers/artists?
- Believe and trust in yourself and your innate ability to create. Just get going. A studio can be on your bed, in a closet or in your living room. You don’t need permission or approval from anyone but yourself.
The Cowtown Indie Bazaar Handmade Marketplace will take place on October 15th from 9am to 5pm at the Will Rogers Memorial Complex in Fort Worth Texas. Be sure to stop by and check out Celia’s Spirit Blocks!