Also commonly known as building sits, Cops-On-Top is an event where law enforcement officers are perched on top of a building to raise both funds and awareness for Special Olympics. The idea was garnered from law enforcement agencies in Illinois; during the 2010 statewide Dunkin’ Donuts Cops on Rooftops event in Illinois officers took to the rooftop of 94 Dunkin’ Donuts locations across the state and raised more than $182,000!
The statewide Cop-On-Top effort, in combination with Dunkin’ Donuts, is arranged by Dunkin’ Donuts, the Law Enforcement Torch Run and Special Olympics Maryland. In 2011, the statewide Dunkin’ Donuts Cop-On-Top event is set for Saturday, August 20th into Sunday August 21st.
This year seven stores and agencies will be participating. It is Dunkin Donuts hope to expand this to all their stores in the Baltimore/Washington market in the future. The Dunkin Donuts stores and agencies for 2011 are as follows:
- Laurel (14903 Baltimore Ave. Laurel, MD 20707) – Laurel PD
- College Park(9701 Baltimore Ave. College Park, MD 20740) – University of Maryland PD
- Westminster (576 Jermor Lane, Westminster, MD 21157) – Westminster PD
- BaltimoreCounty/ Towson (1600 East Joppa Rd. Baltimore, MD 21286) – Baltimore County PD
- Baltimore County/Reisterstown (Reisterstown Village Shopping Center, 48 Main St. Reisterstown, MD 21136) – Maryland Transportation Authority PD
- St. Mary’s County/California (22861 Three Notch Road, #3 California, MD 20619)– St. Marys County Sheriff’s Office
- Mount Ranier (3030 Queens Chapel Road Hyattsville, MD 20782)– Hyattsville & Mount Ranier Police Departments
The Dunkin’ Donuts Cops-On-Rooftops is a great statewide fundraising event that raises awareness of the Torch Run and Special Olympics Maryland.
Dunkin’ Donuts customers and the general public alike are encouraged to stop by and support the officers in their efforts to raise both funds and awareness for the Law Enforcement Torch Run® for Special Olympics Maryland. Along with law enforcement volunteers who will be on the rooftop, other officers will greet customers inside and outside of the store, passing around donation jars and rallying support for the cause. In some locations a merchandise table will also be set up, with Torch Run t-shirts for sale as well as raffle tickets for a 2011 Harley-Davidson FLXH Street Glide donated by Harley Davidson of Annapolis and custom painted by renowned airbrush artist Mickey Harris.