‘Tis Comic-Con Eve and all are antsy in San Diego! What started as a caucus of self-proclaimed “geeks” in the ballroom of an historic Gaslamp hotel is now an international phenomenon; selling out before their website has finished being updated for the current year! If you were fortunate enough to score tickets, you need a game plan for navigating this “monstrous” event of over 125,000 attendees per DAY!
Tips to ease your intergalactic “mind”:
- Access the Gaslamp area and the Convention Center from the north. The majority of good parking resources exist north of Broadway, so it is easier to park and then walk down to the venue.
- Tune into radio station AM 1660 on event days for traffic & parking updates.
- Public transportation is strongly encouraged. Park & ride is also efficient, so meet your friends at the trolley station and ride on in together! Check out the MTS site: http://www.sdmts.com/Trolley/ComicCon.asp
- Use either F Street (westbound) or G Street (eastbound) for dropping off, as they have much less traffic than Harbor Drive and the best escape routes back to the freeways.
- Wear your purse across your chest and keep it secured. Place your wallet in your front pocket, or wear a chain that secures your wallet to your pants.
- Plan a place to meet somewhere adjacent to the Convention Center to collect members of your party in case you’re separated at the event (a likely scenario).
- Get on your social media feeds for Comic-Con updates, local information on all the unofficial events, parties, happenings and cool things to do beyond the Convention Center.
- Try to catch any patio seating you can in the Gaslamp District to watch the passersby. This is a show unto itself before the main event!
Have a BLAST and don’t forget to peace-tie your light sabers!
Comic-Con 2011, July 21-24 (preview July 20th)
San Diego Convention Center
111 W. Harbor Dr. San Diego, CA 92101
Exhibit Hall Hours:
WED, JULY 20 (Preview Night): 6:00 PM-9:00 PM
THU, JULY 21: 9:30 AM-7:00 PM
FRI, JULY 22: 9:30 AM-7:00 PM
SAT, JULY 23: 9:30 AM-7:00 PM
SUN, JULY 24: 9:30 AM-5:00 PM
(Information courtesy of http://www.gaslamp.org/comic-con & http://www.comic-con.org .)
Enjoy this article? Click “Like” and the orange “Subscribe” button up by the author’s photo!