Have a college-bound kid? Already reeling from the ever-mounting costs associated with said college-bound kid? There is a catching trend in the way college students are learning this back-to-school season and parents are saving a bundle.
The big trend now among college students is the “renting” of textbooks online. eCampus.com is a site that allows students to purchase new and used textbooks and even download them, all at a cheap price. Started in July 1999, eCampus.com has developed into one of the leading e-commerce textbook retailers and now offers textbooks for rent. According to the site, families are saving an average of 50% on books in the midst of an economy where every penny counts.
eCampus.com there has seen a sharp increase in the number of rentals for this back-to-school season, as kids and their parents continue to seek ways to cut their hefty textbook bill. Textbooks are an $11 billion industry, with online sales now representing 25% of the business. Buying used books can save students up to 20-50% off the price of a new book while online rentals can save them 60-70% off the bookstore’s new retail price.
Some quick facts on eCampus:
· Renting textbooks is more cost-effective for students.
· Rental return alleviates the hassle of getting stuck with a textbook that has a new edition.
· Renting textbooks is essentially recycling the text having a positive environmental effect.
· Renting textbooks from eCampus.com can be done from the comfort of your home.
· Length of rental is flexible and you can extend or even purchase the book if you decide to.
Parents and students can also get some of that money back with the eCampus buy-back program, which lets book owners sell the books they don’t need after the school term ends. The site also offers free shipping on certain orders when receiving books and returning them. eCampus.com also offers general literature, DVDs and college clothing.
For informative parenting articles delivered directly to your in-box, click subscribe in the upper right-hand corner.