Holy grail, bestie, favorite, whatever you call your “it” beauty product, you may just want to think again. Extra virgin coconut oil primarily got it’s popularity amongst women when Oprah said back in 2005 that coconut oil would make you lose weight. What Oprah says goes, so of course coconut oil was non existent on the shelves of any store or online, waiting up to 4 months to get restocked! This of course left the ones that already knew about the benefits of coconut oil out in the cold, not to mention pissed. So why the big fuss over extra virigin coconut oil? Not only is it good to take internally, but topically is a miracle all on its own.
Internally:( Using only UNREFINED extra virgin coconut oil) Research on the lauric acid in coconut oil has shown it increases levels of good HDL, or high-density lipoprotein, and bad LDL, or low-density lipoprotein, in the blood, but is not thought to negatively affect the overall ratio of the two. EVCO is a medium chained triglyceride, some studies have shown that MCTs can help in the process of excess calorie burning, and thus weight loss. MCTs are also seen as promoting fat oxidation and reduced food intake. There has also been interest in MCTs from endurance athletes and the bodybuilding community. While there seem to be health benefits from MCTs, a link to improved exercise performance is weak.
(Source for above nutritional info: anniesremedies and wikipedia)
Now for the beauty buffs! The following are all the uses for coconut oil:
1. Face moisturizer: great for dry skin and wrinkles, gives a glow to the skin.
2. Acne: Slather on before bed and wake up to smaller less inflamed zits and will ultimately clear up your skin. (coconut oil has antimicrobial as well as antibacterial properties.) Will also help with fungal infections on the face and body.
3. Hair: Use on the hair to make it shiny and get rid of frizz.
4. Body moisturizer: After showing apply all over the body.
5. Deodorant: You can make your own EVCO deodorant here. There are many who swear by this!
6. Skin lightener: The use of EVCO makes the skin more evenly toned and has been known to treat melasma.
7. Enhance eyelashes: Applying to the eyelashes with a clean mascara wand has been said to actually make your lashes grow.
8. Eye cream: Apply under and the eyes as you would your regular eye cream for softer skin and less lines.
9. Healing: EVCO heals cuts, scrapes and burns.
10. Stress: Massage EVCO on the forehead and temples to relieve the daily stress of that “horrible boss” or those little nuggets that live with you that share your last name.
11. Cuticle cream
Remember, make sure the coconut oil you purchase is extra virgin (unrefined). You can find a few brands including organic at Rainbow Natural Grocery in the Fondren District of Jackson, located in the pasta aisle on the grocery side. If your not familiar with Rainbow, just ask for Jason and he will show you what you need.
Surely this is just the tip of the ice burg when it comes to all of the uses of EVCO. Have you ever used EVCO for anything beauty related that’s not already listed? Share with a comment.
Until next time, stay beautiful! Need a Makeup Artist? Contact Dani Page Makeup Studio for all your professional makeup needs, weddings, special events and makeup lessons.