If you consider yourself a connoisseur of ice cream, hot dogs, greasy burgers, jelly-filled donuts, cookies, chocolates and/or chips and dip, today may just be your lucky day! Put the scale and calorie counter away – today is National Junk Food Day! Although the origins of this annual “holiday” are unknown, July 21 is a day for junk food.
On a serious note – obesity is a growing problem in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 12.5 million children and adolescents between 2 and 19 years of age are considered obese.
While many people are trying to lead a healthy lifestyle, today is the perfect opportunity to take a day off that rigid diet and indulge that sweet tooth or chocolate craving! Just for one day. Whether you prefer sweet or salty or ooey gooey, the following recipe ideas are sure to hit the right spot!
20 Junk Food Recipes
- Coca-Cola Sloppy Joes – This recipe calls for ground beef, onion, catsup, vinegar, dry mustard and Coke!
- Devilish Chili Cheese Dogs Recipe – This devilish dish is from Rachael Ray!
- Deep Fried Macaroni and Cheese – ‘Nuff said!
- Deep Fried Spam – This recipe calls for a 12 ounce can of spam, milk, one egg, flour and seasoning.
- Pizza Monkey Bread
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza Recipe – This recipe calls for grilled chicken tenders, Mozzarella cheese, ranch dressing, hot sauce, butter and pizza crust.
- Sliders with Chipotle Mayonnaise – Bobby Flay shares this top-rated recipe with you.
- Drunken Chicken Recipe – This dish calls for chicken, beer and seasoning.
- Onion Ring Casserole AKA Onion Fluff – Love onion rings? Check out this recipe!
- A&W Onion Rings Recipe – And speaking of onion rings, you’ll love this copycat recipe.
- Super Nachos – This recipe, from Rachael Ray, includes a beef and bean topping, Pico de Gallo Salsa and Cheese Sauce.
- Deep Fried Pickles – You’ll need dill pickle spears, ranch dressing, breading and egg wash for this deep fried treat.
- Krispy Kreme Doughnuts – If you love Krispy Kremes, and who doesn’t, check out this top-rated copycat recipe.
- Paula’s Fried Butter Balls – Yep, you read that right. It’s fried butter. This recipe calls for butter, cream cheese, all-purpose flour, bread crumbs, eggs and seasoning.
- Ice Cream Bonbons – You’ll need semi-sweet chocolate chips, ice cream, vegetable shortening and toppings for this sweet treat.
- Twinkie Tiramisu with Espresso Syrup –Wowza!
- Cracker Barrel Chocolate Pecan Pie – Just like the Cracker Barrel make’s em!
- Deep Fried Mars Bars Recipe – Yep, you heard that right!
- Cookie Mud Recipe – You’ll need just one ingredient for this recipe – refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough!
- Deep Fried Oreos – Seems like they deep fry just about anything these days!
Enjoy because tomorrow, it’s back to eating healthy!