The 4th of July weekend is upon us, and many patriotic Americans are searching for Independence Day quotes, sayings, and poems appropriate for the red, white and blue holiday. The 4th of July is observed on Monday, July 4, 2011 this year, but many already started celebrating last night.
Looking for Fourth of July quotations? These 4th of July quotes are perfect for eCards, short text messages to military friends and family serving the United States at home and overseas, or to loved ones. Some 4th of July quotes are serious, some 4th of July quotes are funny, and some are songs of freedom.
Rhode Islanders Celebrate the 4th of July with Parades and Fireworks
Rhode Islanders love their fireworks, and this year is no exception. Because the 4th of July falls on Monday this year, there are fireworks scheduled all four nights — Friday through Monday night. The holiday weekend kicked off Friday night with fireworks in Oakland Beach, Warwick, RI. Bristol, RI will have their fireworks on Sunday night, July 3, 2011. See the article Where to watch fireworks in RI: 4th of July fireworks 2011 begin Friday, July 1 for more info.
Bristol, Rhode Island celebrates Independence Day with the 226th Fourth of July Parade on Monday, 4th of July. It is said to be the oldest running 4th of July parade in America. Read the article Bristol RI 4th of July 2011 Parade route: Country’s oldest Fourth of July parade for more details.
Fourth Of July Quotes and Sayings for Freedom and Liberty
- “Freedom is never given, it is won.”
- “Where liberty dwells, there is my country.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “Free at last; free at last; thank God Almighty we are free at last.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “Democracy is the government of the people, by the people, for the people.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty.” – John Fitzgerald Kennedy
- “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “I have always been among those who believed that the greatest freedom of speech was the greatest safety, because if a man is a fool, the best thing to do is to encourage him to advertise the fact by speaking.” – Woodrow T. Wilson
- “Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.” – Abraham Lincoln, The Gettysburg Address, 1863.
4th of July Poems and Songs
*** “And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.” – Lee Greenwood
*** “Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims’ pride,
From every mountainside
Let freedom ring!” – Samuel F. Smith, America
*** “This land is your land, this land is my land
From California, to the New York Island
From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters
This land was made for you and me.” – Woody Guthrie
Funny 4th of July Quotes
- “You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism.” – Erma Bombeck
- “There, I guess King George will be able to read that.” – John Hancock On signing the American Declaration of Independence.
For More 4th of July Articles:
- 4th of July fireworks 2011 begin Friday, July 1: Where to watch fireworks in RI
- Bristol RI 4th of July 2011 Parade route: Country’s oldest Fourth of July parade
- Buying 4th of July fireworks in RI Three-Finger Eddie’s holiday sales exploding
- Celebrate 4th of July 2011: Free coloring pages, kids activities printable flags
- Red, white and blue food: 4th of July fruit pies, desserts celebrate the holiday
- USPS Holidays: 2011 Post Office closures, no mail delivery postal holidays
- Memorial Day 2011 desserts: Easy red, white and blue recipes for the holiday
- Memorial Day 2011 quotes, sayings, poems for tweets, texts, military cards
- Band of the Northeast kicks off Rhode Island’s 4th of July celebration
- 4th of July patriotic knitting and crochet patterns
Sources: Think Exist.com; Quote Garden; All Great Quotes.com
Photo: American Flag Wikimedia Commons