For shrimp lovers and lovers of Creole cooking, the Creole marinated Louisiana Shrimp recipe from chef Danny Trace of Café Adelaide is worth the wait.
- 16 jumbo fresh Louisiana shrimp (heads on)
- Shrimp boil seasoning (from grocery or home made)
- 1 medium/large onion, roughly chopped
- 2-3 stalks of celery, chopped in 1 to 2-inch pieces
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, separated and peeled
- 2 large carrots, chopped into 3-inch sections
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium-sized lemon, cut in half
- Salt to taste
In a mixing bowl place 1 quart cracked ice in bowl. Set aside.
- In a 3 quart saucepan, combine shrimp boil seasoning, chopped onion, celery, garlic, carrots, bay leaves, and lemon along with 2 quarts of water.
- Over high heat bring all ingredients to a rolling boil and add the shrimp.
- Cook shrimp in boiling water with all ingredients for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Immediately remove shrimp from boiling water and place into previously prepared ice bath along with 2 cups of liquid Cool shrimp, peel, leaving head and tail intact.
- Refrigerate shrimp briefly while preparing vinaigrette.
Crushed Opal Basil Vinaigrette
- 3/4 cup Opal basil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped (brunoise)
- 1 tsp Creole mustard
- 2 tsp sugarcane vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 cup diced bell peppers (tri-color)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Tear Opal basil into small pieces by hand.
- Add shallots, Creole mustard, sugarcane vinegar, fresh lime juice, bell peppers and olive oil.
- Whisk quickly for 2-3 minutes until blended well.
- Add previously cooked shrimp to marinade.
- Return to refrigerator.
- Allow shrimp to marinade for at least an hour. Shrimp and marinade may be done the night before and served the following day.
For the salad:
- 3 oz of summer beans (greenbeans)
- 1 red onion ( julienned )
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 C. fresh basil, minced fine
- 4 tbsp sugarcane vinegar
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch and shock some of your favorite summer beans (Romano, Sugar snap, Ford Hook, etc.).
- Toss with halved cherry tomatoes and julienne sweet onions with sugarcane vinegar and olive oil.
- Season salad to taste.
- Divide salad evenly among all 8 plates and garnish with the marinated Louisiana shrimp.
Chef: Chris Lusk
General Manager: Mike Raborn
Managed by: Commander’s Palace Family of Restaurants
Monday – Friday, 7:00am – 10:00am
Saturday, 7:00am – 12:30pm
Sunday, 7:00am – 12:30pm
Monday – Thursday, 11:30am – 2:00pm
Friday, 11:30am – 2:30pm
Sunday – Thursday, 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Friday – Saturday, 6:00pm – 9:30pm
*Off-hours dining available at the bar until 11:00pm
Location: Loews New Orleans Hotel
300 Poydras Street
New Orleans, LA. 70130
Phone: (504) 595-3305
Cuisine: “Boosted” New Orleans Bistro