I’ve been using the newly released BBM Music for a little less than a week now, and while most of the blogosphere has one opinion on the service, I thought I would take a few minutes to let you know how it stood up to my examining. See what I did there? It’s because I’m the BlackBerry Examiner. Anywho, let’s get down to the nitty gritty.
- The user interface of BBM Music is nearly identical to the native music player that BlackBerry uses, so when I had my first song playing it was immediately famliar.
- Finding songs, albums, and artists that I like is fairly easy. I have a wide range of music that I like, from Christian Rock, to pop, rock, a little hip hop, and even a few showtunes to keep things interesting. In fact, I was only unable to find one band for which I searched, and they’re a band that’s hard to find anywhere else.
- The idea of having my library of songs open for the use of all my BBM Music contacts, and having their library open to me, is an ingenious idea; one of the ones that made Spotify such a success in Europe.
- On the technical side, the app doesn’t bog my phone down like most apps that I’ve downloaded lately have done.
- I love everything about BBM Music and think it would be pretty successful… If it were free. $5/month is too expensive considering my library has a max of only 50 songs, with a limit of 25 deletes per month.
- I’ve only added about 20 songs to my library because of the fact that I don’t want to add a song unless it’s something I know I can listen to several times. Each of those 50 slots seems like a little spot of gold in the music world. In a sense this could be a good thing, but I don’t want to sit and ponder for ten minutes if I want to give a slot to the latest Maroon 5 song even though I know I’ll be sick of it in three days.
- I’ve gotten a few requests from you guys to share music with me, and from time to time I get a message telling me that either myself or the other person has reached their contact limit. It happens sparingly so I know I haven’t reached a limit, but then on the other hand it happens with people who have 20 contacts but not those who have 50. Is this a glitch that can be chalked up to the app still being in beta? Let me know in the comments if you’ve seen this.
Is it worth it?
Right now it’s difficult to say whether or not BBM Music is worth the download. I’m leaning towrds yes because of the exclusivity of trying to get an invite and connected with other people who have the app for now.
However, I’m sad to say that BBM Music most likely won’t see the sun for very long, not unless RIM reduces the monthly charge to maybe $2.99 at the most.
Should you get BBM Music? Right now, yes I think you should try your hardest to get your hands on a copy of the beta. I have three more invites that I would love to give away. I’ll be giving them out to my followers on Twitter, as well as my BBM contacts (PIN: 21737AE4) so if you haven’t followed or added me yet, get on it and I’ll randomly give them out at my heart’s discretion!