Is your child anxious about school, but not in a good way? Maybe, being the mother of six children, this skeptic can offer some tips on the subject. Sometimes the best advice on parenting comes from one having experience.
1. Love your children unconditionally.
2. Prepare them physically, mentally and spiritually.
3. Support them in their insecurities and guide them through each problem..
4. NEVER call them stupid.
5. NEVER frighten or threaten them.
6. Support them but make them understand there are consequences for their actions – good or bad.
7. Teach them by example to treat others as they would want to be treated.
8. Promote the development of good work ethics.
9. Tell them to be nice to others, never make fun of anyone, and choose their friends carefully.
10. Let your children know they are expected to do their best – no more and no less.
The reward for doing one’s best is self-confidence. And that philosophy will lessen their anxieties more than you can even imagine.
School is very stressful for many children, especially the shy ones. A good home environment of encouragement and love is the ticket that will get them through the rough days. And with all the bullies in school these days, parents need to have discussions before school starts about how to handle different situations.
Being involved in school activities should be encouraged, but make sure to reserve time at home to just unwind and bond.
And for Pete’s sake, set the table and have conversations over a nice meal with your children. Let them vent about their day and share your day with them.
Enjoy your family. Children are such wonderful blessings, and they can climb many mountains when they are encouraged, supported and loved.