In the July 20, 2011 episode of Necessary Roughness, Habit Forming, it’s all about baby steps. Dr. Dani (Callie Thorne) takes on a new client (another Hawks’ team member), continues to move through the aftereffects of her divorce, has some mommy issues of her own, and pushes to keep boundaries in place that have little chance of staying put.
With that, let’s take a look at this week’s high five.
Necessary Roughness – Habit Forming – High Five:
1. T.K.’s (Mehcad Brooks) quotes of the night – Every scene with T.K. tonight was TV gold. One episode at a time the chip on his shoulder gets a little smaller. Tonight he had some incredible lines – here are the favorites:
~ “Just slide your stealthy ass up outta here, ‘Harry Plotter.’” T.K. to Ray Jay in response to Ray Jay’s plea to get him into Club Zara in order to impress a girl
~ “You’re gonna be grounded ‘til there’s a white president!” T.K. laughing at Ray Jay after his car is “stolen by the hottie”
2. Divorce and all its changes – It really is the little things and taking baby steps. Lindsay wondering why Dani is still reading the 900 page book for Book Club because, “Didn’t Dad get Book Club in the divorce?” Yes, yes he did. In response to this and Dani’s annoyance that her mother still talks to her son-in-law daily, Dani takes the family portrait down. Too big of a step for Lindsay, she snags it from the garage and hangs it in the back of her closet.
When Dani discovers the portrait she frames a smaller version to place on Lindsay’s nightstand. Baby steps.
Dani also makes the momentous move to taking over the whole bed, rather than snuggling in on her side. It might be baby steps, but it’s still a big deal.
3. Dr. Dani doesn’t give up – It turns out that Dr. Dani’s latest patient, Randall has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which has been causing him to be late for practices and games. Per the norm, it takes most of the episode before Dr. Dani has an epiphany as to what her reluctant client’s real issue is, but she’s got it all figured out now.
Randall’s breakthrough moment is excellent and as Dr. Dani finally gets him to open up, her honesty is refreshing. And it’s great that the show didn’t “cure” him of his O.C.D., but rather we watch as he starts taking baby steps towards change.
4. A not so traditional mom – As we learned in the Pilot episode of this new USA Network series, Dani’s mom is not what one would mistake for a traditional mom. She’s a compulsive gambler – betting on her grandson’s football game when first we met her. Tonight that had the potential to create some serious issues with mother and daughter.
When mom shows up with a shiny new mustang, it raises some questions for our mystery man and professional problem solver, Nico (Scott Cohen). However, when all is said and done, our not so traditional mom is not the source of the leak, nor is she seemingly involved in any illegal activity.
5. Fuzzy boundaries – Trying to establish boundaries with T.K. is kind of like trying to herd cats. Not the easiest thing in the world. It would seem that T.K. could use some mothering and a family and Dani and her kids fit that bill quite charmingly. Therapeutic ethics aside – it’s sweet to watch, and the blurred boundaries are not always T.K.’s fault.
Even though T.K. attempts to follow through on keeping his distance from Ray Jay – Ray Jay is not helping the cause. And when Ray Jay’s car is stolen, T.K. ends up buying him a new car so he wouldn’t have to ‘fess up to his mom. Blurry, lacking boundaries everywhere.
In other fuzzy boundary news, Dr. Dani and Hawks’ trainer, “Mattie D.” have a minor slip in keeping their relationship professional when they share a kiss. Their willpower is impressive, but will it hold?
Necessary Roughness continues to hold its own at the top of this TV Moms Examiner’s summer must-watch list. The cast has undeniable chemistry and flow and it’s only gotten better with each week. What did you think of Habit Forming?
- You can catch Necessary Roughness Wednesdays on the USA Network at 10:00 p.m. / 9:00 c.
Don’t miss out on any of our TV mom moments or lessons, hit the subscribe button following this article to receive free e-mail notifications. You can also keep up with me on Facebook, Twitter @TVMoms101, and GoogleBuzz.