Now that you’ve discovered how to make rice balls, you’re probably thinking to yourself what kind of fillings should you use to put in them. Here are some suggestions on what you can put inside to make them a delicious dish.
Most of these ingredients can be found at your local supermarket such as Hannafords or Market Basket. Some are only found in Asian markets such as Nois Asian Market in Laconia, Lanna Asian Market in Nashua, Uhen Heh Grocery (also known as Korean Japanese Grocery) in Salem, and Saigon Asian Market in Manchester. The ingredient shouldn’t have a high water content, or else the onigiri will fall apart.
- Pickled plum (umeboshi)
- Miso paste
- Tuna, chicken, or seafood salad
- Prosciutto or bacon
- Seasoned salt or spice blends mixed with the rice
- Cooked egg
- Bits of hot dog, sausage or Spam
- Small pieces of fried chicken
- Cooked scallops or shrimp
- Olives or bits of pickles
- Jalapeno peppers
- Cooked and flaked salmon, tuna, cod, etc
If you prefer, you can also coat the outside of the onigiri with ingredients such as wasabi (warning: very spicy), shiso, dried seafood, seaweed, sesame seeds, and vegetable flakes.