The summer of bad weather and bad luck seems like it will never end for the folks at Amtrak.
Amtrak service between New York City and Boston is planned to operate on Tuesday, Aug. 30, including all Acela Express trains and most Northeast Regional service. Also in New England, Amtrak Downeaster service will operate normally between Boston and Portland, Maine, in the aftermath of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene.
Heat is causing problems for Amtrak in Texas
Most Northeast Regional service will operate south of Philadelphia, but no Acela Express, Northeast Regional or other Amtrak trains can operate north of Philadelphia to New York.
As of early this Monday evening, about a half-mile of Amtrak right-of-way remained submerged near Trenton, N.J. As the water levels recede, Amtrak engineering forces will make repairs to the track and signal control infrastructure. Updates will continue to be provided and an estimate for restoration of full service south of New York is not yet available.
Therefore, full Amtrak Keystone Service and will operate only between Philadelphia and Harrisburg, Penn. on Tuesday, Aug. 30, while the Pennsylvanian (Trains 42 & 43) will operate only between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia on that date.
Other service changes on Tuesday, Aug. 30, include:
- Maple Leaf (Trains 63 & 64) will operate between Toronto and Niagara Falls only, with no Empire Service trains on the Niagara Falls/Buffalo-Albany-New York route.
- Adirondack (Trains 68 & 69) will operate between Montreal and Albany/Rensselaer only, while Vermonter (Trains 55 & 56), Ethan Allen Express (Trains 290 & 291) andShuttle service trains between New Haven, Conn., and Springfield, Mass., are canceled due to track closures and utility outages in New York and Connecticut.
- Full Northeast Regional service to Lynchburg, Va., and limited Northeast Regionalservice to Richmond will operate, with no service between Richmond and Newport News, Va.
- Cardinal (Train 50) will not operate east of Indianapolis to Washington and New York.
- Full Piedmont service (Trains 73-76) will operate between Raleigh and Charlotte, while the Carolinian (Trains 79 & 80) will operate only within North Carolina
- Silver Star (Trains 91 & 92) will operate only within Florida.
Other cancelations on Tuesday, Aug. 30, include:
- Crescent (Trains 19 & 20), New York-Atlanta-New Orleans
- Lake Shore Limited (Trains 48/448 & 49/449), Chicago-New York/Boston
- Auto Train (Trains 52 & 53), Sanford, Fla.-Lorton, Va.
- Palmetto (Trains 89 & 90), New York-Savannah
- Silver Meteor (Trains 97 & 98), New York-Miami