Thinking of getting a dog? Columbus has many adoption centers, and Capital Area Humane Society (CAHS) is one local organization that can set you up with a great dog. Their adoption process is simple and straightforward, and they do a lot to ensure you are getting a healthy animal. Before becoming available for adoption, all dogs are either spayed or neutered (or the dog will come with a voucher to have this surgery if the animal is not yet old enough to have the procedure done). They are also given their first vaccinations (including rabies if the animal is old enough), tested for heartworm, flea-treated, microchipped, and registered. Pricing for each dog varies, but costs start at $100 for dogs and $150 for puppies. Considering the cost of care that the animal receives (between $250-$500) this is an excellent value.
If you think you are ready to adopt a dog from CAHS, you will need to go through several steps.
1. Make sure you’re ready.Dogs are costly, both financially and time wise. Are you prepared to have this animal for potentially 15 years? Can you afford regular vet bills or surprise expenses? It is also crucial to know beforehand whether or not anyone who will be living with the dog is allergic.
2. If you do not have a veterinarian already, start looking. Find a reputable vet and call to let them know that you are about to adopt a dog and would like to use them as a reference. They will take your contact information and can answer any questions you may have.
3. Start looking for a potential pet. CAHS is full of great volunteers who are familiar with the dogs there and would be glad to help you find the right match. You can also view a list of dogs available on the CAHS website.
4. When you have found the right dog for you, get a clipboard from the adoptions office and let an adoption officer know. You will have to provide basic information as well as a reference to the veterinarian you plan to use. You will then meet briefly with a counselor to go over your application and ask any questions you might have.
5. Once your application is approved, you may take your new pet home! CAHS does reccomend that you schedule a follow-up appointment with your veterinarian within a week of adopting. Getting a second medical check-up is a great way to make sure that your dog is completely healthy.
The Capital Area Humane Society is located at 3015 Scioto-Darby Executive Court, Hilliard, OH 43026. Their phone number is (614) 777-7387.
Like my articles? Subscribe to my page! It’s free and easy – just click “Subscribe to get instant updates” in the top left corner of this article.