The granddaddy of all comic conventions San Diego Comic-Con returns next week. This event is completely sold out so if you are going you need to be prepared for what to expect. This show is the largest convention of all things comics and pop culture so it is easy to get lost in the spectacle. Below are eight tips and hints that can help you get the most out the convention.
1) Be prepared know who is attending and who you want to meet. This way you will be able to bring the comics you want signed and won’t have to scramble to buy something you already have just to meet them. Check out the guest list here. Artists’ Alley.
2) Know what you are looking for. With so may comics for sale you can get overwhelmed and not be able to find exactly what you want or buy more of what you already have. If it is on a piece of paper or notes saved in your smart phone the help it brings will be invaluable. Click here to see the hot toy exclusives.
3) Bring cash. While many retailers and comic pros take credit cards, it is faster and easier to watch your budget with just the folding money in your pocket. There are ATMS at the convention just in case you need more. Be sure to consult the quick guide to find them.
4) Look at the programming schedule. With so much to do and few clocks it makes it hard to remember where you need to be and what time you need to be there. You don’t want to miss your favorite comic-pro speaking because you did not check your watch. Click here to see the programming schedule of panels and events. Wed & Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun. Click here for the programming grid.
5) This convention is so big it is hard to see everything. Don’t get lost in the shuffle plan ahead to know where your favorite publisher is setting up shop or where to find artists alley. Click here to see a map of the convention floor and other important items.
6) Take some time to figure out where to eat in the area. Taking time to eat is important but taking too much time will take you off the con floor for too long. Here are some food choices in the area.
7) Just getting to the convention can be a real hassle. Make sure you understand where to park so you don’t drive around in circles looking to get close or have to run a marathon just to get to the Convention Center. Parking, Shuttles, and other Transportation.
8) Get the iPhone app for the Comic-Con. It could prove very useful when you are lost on the convention floor. For more information click here.
Related link: The guide to collecting comic book style original art at comic conventions
Find me on Twitter by clicking here.
Do you like this article? Click on the FREE subscription button on this page to get the latest about comics in Los Angeles and recommendations about books you want to try.