Shopping for clothes can be frustrating at times for everyone. However, finding stylish clothing that flatter a figure with a little tummy bulge can seem like a major hurdle. Here are five ways to camouflage your tummy, taken from the book, Wear This, Not That! Stylish Solutions to Flatter Your Figure:
- Shape wear is a great way to help hide your trouble spots, however, it’s gotten a bad rap in past years. Look for products that have a high spandex content, breathable panels, and aren’t too tight – otherwise you’ll never want to wear them. Try brands like Spanx, Maidenform and Yummie Tummies (sold online and at major department stores).
- Choose the right fabrics. Avoid fabrics that are too clingy as they will accentuate every little bulge, and stiff fabrics as they tend to stand away from the body and make you are appear larger than you actually are. Choose garments made from soft fabrics that gently float over your curves.
- Wrap dresses and wrap shirts are excellent for hiding a tummy. Choose them in colorful patterned styles to draw the eye away from the problem area.
- Empire waist tops and dresses are a wonderful way to disguise a tummy bulge as they nip in right under the bust (where you’re smallest) and float away from the midriff, giving the appearance of a slimmer waistline.
- Choose a fitted jacket. Don’t cover up in an oversized or boxy jacket…it will only make you look bigger. Instead, try a fitted jacket with seams that enhance your silhouette and nips in at the waist.
Not sure how to get the look that’s right for you? Get expert assistance by hiring an image consultant or personal stylist. To find a certified image consultant in the Tampa Bay area, check out The Association of Image Consultants International website at www.aici.org.