A majority of women wouldn’t even bother putting makeup on or dressing sexy if it weren’t for impressing men. However, try as they might, some may not be even doing that.
When you’re in the makeup business you get the chance to speak with plenty of men who tend to voice their opinions, whether they be the husbands or boyfriends of clients or an actual clients themselves.
Below are 5 things men don’t find particularly attractive when it comes to women’s makeup:
1. Dark and/or bright lipsticks: Opt to leave that new, dark, vampy shade on the shelf or leave it up to Kat Von D to sport it for you. If you’re trying to find a mate or even making the one you have more attracted to you skip the vampire blood reds, dark browns or bright barbie pinks (or anything that looks like it might be connected to a battery). Men prefer a more natural look and are literally scared to kiss you because they don’t want that color all over them! So when shopping for lipsticks stick to either light taupe colors or a low key muted mauve.
2. Lip Gloss: Men inevitably want to kiss you and find gloss to be messy, sticky and uncomfortable. Sure, women get the idea behind puffy, juicy, glossy lips and how they look more kissable, but men don’t. Unless you plan on never getting that kiss on your first date or having your current lover sneak a kiss or two during the day, then stick with matte lipstick (in neutral colors of course) or if you just like a moisturizing feel, opt for a tinted lip balm.
3. Bright eyeshadow hues: Men don’t appreciate women who look like they just stepped out of a carnival tent or a circus, so unless you are a clown for a living, steer clear of bright eyeshadows all over the eye. Opt instead to place a neutral color such as a light brown or even a deep brown and use a bright hue as just a pop of color in the crease or just at the corners of the eye. Your man will thank you and so will your local clowns (nobody likes competition).
4. Blush applied as a circle on the cheeks: Men get distracted easily. by anything and this is one that definitely distracts them. Staring at your cheeks wondering if you meant to put that splotch of bright pink there or if maybe somebody hit you. Some have even compared this blush look with their grandmothers look. Not flattering and nobody wants to be compared to a grandma! Use neutral colors such as peach, honey or a mauve if you must go anywhere near pink. Place your brush at least two finger widths from your nose and apply in a backward “C” motion ending up near the temple. Use a light hand and blend well. He will thank you and so will his grandmother.
5. The drawn in eyebrow look: Tweezing and filling in the brows with brow powder is fine, but for those women that completely shave their brows (an absolute no no) only to draw them on again with liquid liner or a waxy pencil is a sure fire way to make your next date twinge. First off men can’t figure out why we tweeze and pluck to begin with so don’t confuse them more by completely removing them and using what they call a magic marker to draw them back on. They find this look artificial and downright unattractive. First off, STOP shaving your brows, try to let them grow back in (if you can) and just tweeze or wax them where they need it. You can have an esthetician do this for you or if your wallet is a bit tight do it at home, there are plenty of brow stencils available out there to make sure you pluck and fill in correctly. When filling in the sparse areas opt for a brow powder applied with a tiny angle brow brush. Using a waxy pencil only makes your brows look shiny and unnatural and those pencils don’t last as long as the powder does. If you’re stuck on using pencils opt for powder pencils.
Until next time, stay beautiful! Need a Makeup Artist? Contact Dani Page Makeup Studio for all your professional makeup application needs, weddings, special events, print, film and makeup lessons. Visit my Glam Artist Blog for more makeup tips, tricks, even recipes and a dose of humor!