Although National Hamburger Day and National Ice Cream Sandwich Day are officially over, today is another special day! August 3 is National Watermelon Day. As the temperature continues to climb, folks are finding ways to keep cool during the stifling heat and high humidity that has plagued a good portion of America. What could be better than having a refreshing slice or two of delicious watermelon?
While eating watermelon brings back fond childhood memories, watermelon has been eaten for over 5,000 years. With over 200 varieties, watermelons are actually related to the pumpkin, squash and cucumber family. Comprised of mostly water , loaded with Vitamins A and C and also helps reduce the risk of dehydration, Citrullus vulgaris is a super sweet treat that does not pack on the pounds – it’s fat free! Did you know China is the number one producer of the watermelon?
Whether you eat ’em right off the vine, grilled on the barbecue or prefer to sip ’em in your favorite cocktail, watermelon is healthy, delicious and fun to eat!
Refreshing Watermelon Recipes
- Watermelon Sailboats – This recipe is too cute! You’ll need seedless watermelon, fresh blueberries and Grape Nuts cereal.
- Watermelon Glazed Mini Barbecued Meatballs – This simple recipe calls for prepared mini meatballs, barbecue sauce and watermelon puree.
- Kids Watermelon Pizza Supreme – Wow! Bet the kids have never eaten a pizza like this! You’ll need watermelon, strawberry preserves, white chocolate chips, raisins, walnuts and shredded coconut for this fun treat!
- Smoked Mozzarella Watermelon Pumps – This sandwich recipe calls for smoked mozzarella cheese, seedless watermelon, Honey Dijon mustard, soft pumpernickel rolls and alfalfa sprouts.
- Watermelon Pomegranate Green Tea – This healthy drink looks fabulous!
- Watermelon, Pineapple and Peach Smoothie – Talk about refreshing!
- Watermelon Salad with Serrano Vinaigrette – This salad serves six and calls for seedless watermelon, arugula, Serrano chile and feta cheese.
- Shrimp and Watermelon Salad – Yum!
- Chunky Watermelon Salsa – This recipe calls for seeded cucumber, green onions, fresh cilantro, jalapeno, sugar and seeded watermelon pieces.
- Watermelon and Cucumber Gazpacho Recipe – If you’ve never tried cold soup before, here’s your chance! This recipe calls for red and yellow bell peppers, seedless watermelon, cucumber, jalapeno chile, celery, onion, fresh mint, lime juice, red wine vinegar and sour cream.
- Watermelon Yogurt Ice Recipe – This recipe is sure to be a great big hit with old and young alike! You’ll need sugar, seedless watermelon, low-fat vanilla yogurt and lime juice. Don’t forget the ice cream maker for this one!
- Ice Cream Cone Sundaes – This recipe calls for natural cake cones, craisins, vanilla yogurt, pineapple cream cheese frosting and seedless watermelon!
- Watermelon-Mint Ice Pops – This recipe calls for watermelon, sugar, mint leaves and lime juice. Oh, you’ll need a food processor and molds too.
- Watermelon, Lemonade and Blueberry Ice Pops – You’ll need seeded watermelon, sugar, lemon and orange juice, fresh blueberries, vanilla extract, disposal paper cups and ice pop sticks.
Watermelon With a Splash!
- Watermelon Margarita Ice Pops – These ice-cold popsicles are for the older crowd. You’ll need lime juice, sugar, water, seedless watermelon and silver tequila. Don’t forget the molds and wooden sticks.
- Watermelon and Rose Sangria – This recipe calls for fresh strawberries, watermelon, lime, sugar, lemonade, Cointreau and chilled rose wine.
- Watermelon Martinis – Bobby Flay shares this delicious recipe that calls for vodka, sugar, melon liqueur, lemon and watermelon.
- Pink Watermelon Chardonnay Sparklers – You’ll need watermelon, chardonnay and sparkling water for this pretty pink drink.
- Frozen Watermelon, Blackberry Margaritas with Cilantro and Vanilla – This frozen cocktail looks amazing! You’ll need blackberries, watermelon puree, vanilla extract, lime juice, fresh cilantro, tequila, triple sec and ice.
- Watermelon Mojitos – The Barefoot Contessa shares this recipe that calls for light rum, simple syrup, fresh mint leaves, watermelon and lime juice.
- Watermelon Mango Rum Punch – You’ll need watermelon purree, cran-raspberry and mango juice, rum, cherry schnapps and ice.
- Dragonfruit and Watermelon Sorbet Recipe – You’ll need watermelon puree, 2 dragonfruit, sugar, lime, vodka and lime.
- Spiked Watermelon Punch Recipe – You’ll need watermelon, lemon juice, sugar, vodka, fresh mint and crème de cassis for this drink.