Hip hip hooray – August 20th is National Lemonade Day! Not only is lemonade a refreshing beverage to whet one’s whistle, but is also a favorite drink at fairs and festivals during the dog days of summer. Made from lemons, lemonade is available in all sorts of flavors.
Lemonade also provides the perfect opportunity for children to learn how to earn money. Lemonade stands are iconic symbols of American entrepreneurship. Not only are lemonade stands loads of fun, but they also teach America’s youth that perseverance and hard work can lead to financial gain. Before setting up a stand, please check with your city regarding various permits and ordinances.
Lemonade Stands Help Fight Childhood Cancer
Why not encourage your children to set up a lemonade stand and donate a portion of the proceeds to a worthy cause? Help in the battle against childhood cancer by hosting your own lemonade stand in honor of Alexandra “Alex” Scott, the founder of Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF). Alex, who was diagnosed with childhood cancer before the age of one, wanted to set up her own lemonade stand and donate the money to doctors to help them find a cure for cancer. She raised more than $2,000 in one day. Alex passed away in 2004 at the age of eight but her parents continued her mission. Since 2000, the effort has raised more than $45 million! Free downloads are available to get you started.
Refreshing Lemonade Recipes
- Classic Lemonade Recipe – This simple recipe, from Martha Stewart, calls for fresh lemon juice from 20 lemons, superfine sugar and water.
- Lemonade Tea Recipe – Also called the “Arnold Palmer,” this drink is half lemonade and half iced tea!
- Old Fashioned Lemonade – You’ll need 6 lemons, white sugar and cold water for this recipe.
- Pink Lemonade Recipe – This simple recipe calls for sugar, water, cranberry juice and lemon juice.
- Lemon Shake Up Recipe – You can’t have Lemonade Day without shaking things up a little! Kids will have a ball making this favorite summertime drink!
- Sparkling Strawberry-Lemonade Slush – This cool drink looks amazing! You’ll need thawed lemonade concentrate, thawed strawberries, water and lemon-lime carbonated beverage.
- Raspberry Lemonade – Pretty in pink!
- McDonald’s Frozen Strawberry Lemonade – If you love this drink at the Golden Arches, check out this copycat recipe.
- Lemonade with Stevia – This recipe calls for stevia liquid concentrate instead of sugar.
- Blue Lemonade – This blue drink calls for blackberries and blueberries too!
- Strawberry Lemonade Recipe – This lemonade drink calls for fresh strawberries, superfine sugar, lemon juice and seltzer water.
- Pineapple Lemonade – You’ll need unsweetened pineapple juice, seltzer, lemon juice, sugar and mint.
- Peppermint Lemonade – You’ll need fresh peppermint for this recipe.
Refreshing Lemonade Cocktails
- Skinny Pink Lemonade Margarita Recipe – WOW! Run, don’t walk, to whip up this cocktail!
- Pink Lemonade Margarita – This recipe, from Kraft, calls for Crystal Light Pink Lemonade drink mix, orange juice, lime juice, crushed ice and tequila.
- Watermelon Lemonade with Vodka – This cocktail sounds perfect for summer! You’ll need lemon, mint leaves, light-brown sugar, seedless watermelon and vodka!
- Signature Pink Lemonade Cocktail – This beverage calls for sugar, water, lemon juice, vodka and grenadine.
- French Kiss Cocktail – You’ll need lemonade ice cubes (recipe included), dry vermouth, sweet vermouth and lemon zest.
- Sparkling Raspberry Lemonade – You’ll need fresh raspberries, sugar, sparkling water, vodka and lemonade for this drink.
- Whiskey Lemonade – Kick your lemonade up a big notch, with this delicious drink that calls for fresh lemon juice, whiskey, simple syrup, lemon zest and ice.
Delicious Lemonade Treats
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes – Fair warning – these little cupcakes look devine!
- Lemonade Cookies – These cookies are tart and sweet! You’ll need frozen lemonade concentrate, white sugar, eggs, all-purpose flour, butter and baking soda for this recipe!
Happy National Lemonade Day! For more wild, wacky and wonderful holiday information, please visit Holidailys, your number one source for all your holiday needs!