On Tuesday, August 23, prosecutors are expected to drop sexual assault charges against ex-IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn (DSK). The expected dismissal recommendation comes amid doubts about the credibility of DSK’s accuser, Nafissatou Diallo.
Nafissatou Diallo, 33, originally from Guinea, is alleged to have repeatedly deceived investigators regarding personal assets and attempts to make money off of her accusations against DSK.
[The woman behind DSK]
DSK was arrested in May after Diallo accused him of sexually assaulting her when she was working as a maid at the Sofitel on May 14, 2011. DSK was charged with two counts of criminal sexual act in the first degree, one count of attempted rape, and one count each of sexual abuse in the first degree, unlawful imprisonment in the second degree, sexual abuse in the third degree and forcible touching.
Diallo came forward last month to give details of the alleged attack, where she says DSK forced her to perform oral sex, and that he tried to rape her. DNA evidence collected from the scene matched DSK’s, but DSK’s attorneys have said that any sexual acts were consensual.
[France views Strauss-Kahn as victim]
Officials say that Diallo’s credibility has been blemished due to inconsistencies in statements that she has given about the events the occurred on May 14, as well as Diallo’s admission that she lied in order to receive asylum in the United States. Whether some or all of the charges are dropped against DSK, Diallo intends to move forward with a civil suit that was filed several weeks ago against DSK.
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Myspace! Click Subscribe to receive articles on Women’s Issues topics via email! Questions about this article or simply want to contact this writer? Send an email to email@example.com
©2011 Yvonne P. Mazzulo, All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author or Clarity Digital Group LLC d/b/a joltleft.com.