For those who LOVE watermelon, the Carytown Watermelon Festival is the place to be this Sunday from 10am – 6pm. With over 3,000 watermelons, 80 musicians, 100+ exhibitors, and one of the largest kids area of any festival on the east coast, this has become the largest one-day festival in the state of Virginia.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF WATERMELON
- It is packed with some of the most important antioxidants found in nature.
- It is an excellent source of vitamin C and a very good source of vitamin A, particularly through its concentration of beta-carotene.
- It is also a source of the potent carotene antioxidant which is called lycopene. These antioxidants travel throughout the body neutralizing free radicals. Free radicals are substances in the body that can cause much damage to us. They are able to oxidize cholesterol, making it stick to blood vessel walls and thicken them which can lead to hearty attack or stroke. The lycopene which gives fruits the attractive red color that we find in watermelon can help reduce the risks of prostate cancer.
- It is the only fruit that contains higher concentrations of lycopene than any other fresh fruit or vegetable.
- It is a fruit that is rich in electrolytes sodium and potassium that we lose through our perspiration.
- It is rich in the B vitamins necessary for energy production. Food experts recommend watermelon as a very good source of vitamin B6 and a good source of vitamin B1 and magnesium. Because of its higher water content approximately ninety percent and calorie value it is ranked more valuable than other fruits.
- It has a special cooling effect and is exceptionally high in citrulline, an amino acid that our bodies use to make another amino acid, arginine, which is used in the urea cycle to remove ammonia from the body.
- The antioxidants help reducing the severity of asthma. It also reduces the risk of colon cancer, asthma, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and prostate cancer.
- It is a good source of thiamin, potassium and magnesium which protect our body from so many diseases.
- It is fat free but helps energy production. It protects against macular degeneration.
If you LOVE watermelon, this is a must attend festival.
Carytown Watermelon Festival
3126 W. Cary Street
Richmond, VA 23221
Did you find the article informative? Receive email alerts when new articles are available. Just click on the “Subscribe” button above.